Wednesday, February 08, 2006



Why the Libertarian Party is Failing


Traditionally, or so we have been told, third parties get sucked up by the two dominant parties. The Libertarian Party may be getting sucked up as we speak. I have heard time and time again, the LP doesn't do anything, and then people leave the party. I hear, the LP isn't staying principled, and then they leave the party. Why is this happening, and what's the big deal?

The biggest problem with people leaving the LP over inactivity and unprincipled propositions is that it places the blame on someone else. It is very unlibertarian to say, "That's not my fault,” because it always is. Let me tell you why; if you can get into the frame of mind that everything is your fault, it will make you take a look inside and say, "How can I make this better." That is the way that thought continues to evolve. When Thomas Edison was asked, "How does it make you feel that you failed so many times?” His reply was, "I never failed, I merely learned how not to do things." This type of thinking is critical to advancing the cause of liberty, the libertarian ideal, which I must say is an effective philosophy, but has been failing as a political party. Why? Why has the Libertarian Party when it is such an effective political philosophy? I hate to say it, but it is because of the members. I realize this, and I also realize that I am a member. I have to look inside.

So, let's break it all down. What is the ultimate purpose of the libertarian party? I know answers will vary, but I would say that it is to promote the triumph of the human spirit in the face of adversity. It is to show people that they can overcome incredible obstacles without forcing anyone else to help them. In fact, in many cases it is to show how using force almost always makes a problem worse. How can you do this with a political party? The obvious is to get Libertarians, who believe in those principles, elected. This is where the Libertarian party has mostly failed. Why is that?

You could say that it is hard to get libertarians elected because the two party system has made it almost impossible for a third party to compete with them. That may be true, but it looks on the outside for answers, not the inside. The truth is, the Libertarian party fails to carry through the three basic things its members need to do, to change the thought of people.

The first is, become active in your community. Have demonstrations and rallies. Pass out books and literature, and participate in jury nullifications. Spend some time informing people with the philosophy.

Second, become political. Groom candidates who are principled to run for office, and work like hell to get them elected. State legislatures can literally spend time shaking the hand of everyone in their district, but very few libertarians will do this. Why? I can only guess that it is because they assume voters will come to them. Again, you are looking on the outside, not the inside.
Many libertarians complain about the candidates that run for office, but they never groom themselves to take a public servant role.

Also, propose legislation and work with current political leaders to obtain passage. If you believe that drugs should be decriminalized, dedicate your time and money to getting a law passed. If you make sense, and work hard enough at it, you will succeed. Personally, I am working very hard to get medical marijuana laws passed in my state of Delaware. I won't stop there either, as soon as I get that done (because sick people need help right now), I will move onto drug decriminalization. Will I settle for drug legalization with taxation? Yes, but I will continue the fight for decriminalization.

Third, you have to have the courage to perform acts of civil disobedience. This is so important, because courage is infectious, and numbers can speak loudly. If you want to achieve liberty in your lifetime, you don't have to move across the country, you don't have to compromise your values, and you don't have to cry about it. You simply have to move to affect the thoughts of your fellow man, get active to affect the laws of your fellow man, and obtain strength and courage to be free from the oppressive laws of your fellow man.

If you are interested in how to achieve your goals by spreading the ideas of liberty, send me a message with your email address and I will send you a comprehensive list.

1 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger shawnprice2031483788 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home